Thursday, July 22, 2010

Not missing many meals.....


Ty and Luke have been home almost 4 full months now and still, nearly every afternoon about four o'clock, Ty will come to me and ask a question that hurts my heart.

"'Eh, Mom, we having din-ah?"

He's not asking what we're having and he never wants to know when we're eating. He's not trying to prompt me into gettin' it in gear to fix dinner. Ty looks me in the eye and I can tell that he earnestly wants to know if we're eating.

Most days I off-handedly reply, "Of course, don't we always eat dinner, Ty?"
He thinks for a second and then usually his eyes blink a good long blink and a smile slowly spreads across his beautiful face.


Today when he asked, I answered, "Yes, Ty. Think for a minute....haven't you eaten dinner every night since you've been with me and Dad? And haven't I fed you breakfast and lunch, too---- every, single day?"

He paused.....and then, there came that smile.

"Yes-oh, Mom. You right."

And then Ty danced and danced with happy sock feet, a Matchbox car in each hand.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heart breaking indeed.

love2bmom said...

Praise God for Dinner. EVERY NIGHT.

Love to Ty and Luke from cousin Mary.

jena said...

I hear things like this all the time at my house, but it just makes me cry all over again knowing you are hearing it as well.

Brandi said...

Precious and heartbreaking all at the same time.

SO love seeing their pictures...home. Oh it makes me so happy!

Brandi

jim dixon said...

And - I bet he could have an apple or "treat" between meals!

Susannah said...

Kelly~
I love, love, LOVE your blog!
Been reading through it for the past 45 minutes or so...

Got the link from your email re: the Clemmons Courier piece on the Stingrays. From the looks of things, this has been a splendid summer for you all.

Praise God!

And just so you know, we so enjoyed Brant's coaching our 3 red-headed swimmers this summer. They (& we) think he's waaaaay cool! ;)

Keep up the great work here!